Factory Reset of a HPE Onboard Administrator Module
HPE Onboard Administrator - How to Reset the Administrator Password
If the Administrator password has been lost, the user can reset the administrator password to the factory default that shipped on the tag with the onboard administrator module. The onboard administrator resets a lost password to Lost Password/Flash Disaster Recovery (LP/FDR) mode. To reset the administrator password to the factory default:
Option 1: Using serial console
- Connect a computer to the serial port of the active onboard administrator using a Null-Modem cable.
- With a Null-Modem cable (9600 N, 8, 1, VT100) locally connect to the onboard administrator.
- Open a suitable terminal window utility (Windows or Linux), and connect to the active onboard administrator.
- Press and hold in the onboard administrator reset button for 5 seconds.
- To boot the system into lost password modem press L. The password appears as the system reboots.
Option 2: Using USB drive with a script file
NOTE: If the insight display USB menu buttons are locked, then the serial port method must be used. If the LCD panel is locked, then a large -lock- symbol appears on the screen.
In this example, the OA administrator password is set to Password123
- Create a text file named reset_password.cfg with the one line command: SET USER PASSWORD administrator Password123
- Insert the flash drive with reset_password.cfg file into the USB port of the active onboard administrator. The LED on the onboard administrator indicates which OA is active.
- Using the onboard administrator Insight display, navigate to the main menu, select USB Key Menu, and then click OK.
- If insight display PIN protection is enabled, user are prompted to enter the PIN. Select accept, and then click OK.
- Select Restore Configuration, then click OK. The USB flash drive in the onboard administrator is scanned and the available .cfg files are listed.
- Select the reset_password.cfg file, and then click OK.
- The confirm operation screen appears, click OK.
- Log in to the onboard administrator with the user ID and password specified.
How to create reset_password.cfg?
Create a text file and save it as .cfg
In the text file add a single line as follows
Script sample #1 (changing password for Administrator):
SET USER PASSWORD Administrator Password123
Script sample #2 (universal):
SET USER PASSWORD
- Command: SET USER PASSWORD "<user name>" ["<user name>"]
- Description: Sets a user's password. If user do not supply a password on the command line, user are prompted for one. In script mode, user must supply a password on the command line.
- Access level/Bay level: OA administrator (can modify the full name of others); OA operator and user access level users can change their own passwords.
- Restrictions: Only OA administrators can modify another user's password. Only the Administrator account can modify the password of the Administrator account. The <user name> argument is case sensitive. If the password is provided in the same line as the command and contains spaces or hash characters (#), it must be enclosed in double quotes.
Script sample #3 (create admin user on all device bays):
ADD USER admin hpinvent
SET USER ACCESS admin ADMINISTRATOR
ASSIGN SERVER ALL admin
ASSIGN INTERCONNECT ALL admin
ASSIGN OA admin
ENABLE USER admin
HPONCFG all << end_marker
<LOGIN USER_LOGIN="adminname" PASSWORD="password">
<ADMIN_PRIV value ="Yes"/>
<REMOTE_CONS_PRIV value ="Yes"/>
<RESET_SERVER_PRIV value ="Yes"/>
<VIRTUAL_MEDIA_PRIV value ="Yes"/>
Click here for more information on Set user password from BladeSystem Onboard Administrator Command Line Interface User Guide: